Organization Spotlight – AIDSCare
Clue #1: What Chicago based HIV/AIDS Organization provides housing, health and substance abuse programs for its clients?
Clue 2: Dining Out for Life, is one of the signature fundraising events for this organization?
Reward yourself, go window shopping for your next pair of Red Pumps. Red Pump Divas can never have too many!
To bridge sickness to health, homelessness to permanent housing, and poverty to self-sufficiency for individuals and families overcoming life challenging conditions is the mission of AIDSCare Progressive Services. Jim Flosi created AIDSCare to combat both poverty and HIV/AIDS, in 1992. Seventeen years later, AIDSCare has provided housing, community and wellness services to more than 300 limited-income families, adults and homeless individuals living with HIV/AIDS. Flosi continues to lead AIDSCare as its executive director.
Here are some of the services AIDSCare provide its residents and clients:
Healthy Living Program
- Basic HIV Education
- Comprehension of Medications
- HIV Medication and Mental Health Connection
Life Enhancement Program
- Linking clients to educational opportunities
- Counseling to improve and restore relationships
- Instruction on how to improve communication to decrease conflicts
- Self-esteem, Anger Management and Stress Management
- Computer Literacy
- Vocational Support
Sober Living Program
- Substance-Use Education
- Peer-to-Peer Services
- Alcohol and drug-free social and recreational activities
- Recovery Coaching or Mentoring
Tenant Relations Program
- Paying rent on time
- Being lease compliant
- Communicating with property management
- Remaining respectful to the property and its occupants
- Knowing your responsibilities as tenants and community members
To volunteer or donate to AIDSCare please visit the website: http://www.aidscarechicago.org.
Sandra Davis is a marketing communications professional and health educator, who is concerned about the health and well-being of women of color. Ms. Davis dons her red pumps to support her fellow sisters in the struggle against ignorance and HIV/AIDS. To have your HIV/AIDS organization featured, please email Sandra at: firstname.lastname@example.org