December 1st has been World AIDS Day for the past 22 years, and this year’s theme is “Face AIDS.” Here’s a snapshot of the global epidemic:
- 33.4 million people are living with HIV/AIDS worldwide
- 2.1 million of those are children under 15
- 2.9 million people were newly infected with HIV in 2009
- 1.8 million people died from HIV-related causes in 2009
- 67% of the people living with HIV/AIDS are in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Young people account for half of new HIV infections
Staggering stats, but not hopeless. According to UNAIDS, HIV infection rates and deaths are slowly declining around the world, but not enough for us to stop prevention and awareness work (as well as treatment).
We’ll be “facing AIDS” by going to get tested, blogging about it, tweeting and Rocking the Red Pump™. Oh AND I’ll have on one of these Red Pumps shirts.
Get one of your own! If you use the coupon code REDPUMPWAD at our online store (www.redpumpstore.com), you’ll get 20% off your purchase today only.
HIV is nature’s oxymoron. Sex is supposed to bring forth life, but now, it can potentially destroy it. Let’s ALL stay safe. Know your status. Get tested. Drop the stigma. Face AIDS.
What will you be doing to commemorate the day?