A Letter from our Charlotte Ambassador
When I first heard about Red Pump, I knew that I didn’t just want to support the organization, I wanted to be involved…and I have, since the beginning in 2009. I enjoy this work so much because I feel like we are truly making an impact and allowing our collective voices to make a difference. I will always “Rock The Red Pump” because I am in love with humanity; I care about people and the future of our world. AIDS is a one hundred percent preventable disease, yet the numbers continue to grow, especially among minority women. If I can help even one person, then I am on the right path.
Jameka S. Whitten
- North Carolina was ranked 8th out of the top 15 states with new AIDS cases among African Americans
- Mecklenburg County has the highest number of HIV/AIDS cases in North Carolina.
- Nearly 5,000 people are living with HIV in Mecklenburg County alone.
- African Americans comprise 68% of all new reported HIV cases in 2007, despite representing only 28% of the county’s total population
- From 1999 to 2007 HIV cases increased by 57%
The Red Pump/Red Tie Affair, which commemorate World AIDS Day every December.