THE RED PUMP PROJECT is a national nonprofit organization that raises awareness about the impact of HIV/AIDS on women and girls. We use red shoes to get your attention, and while we have it, we want to talk about the epidemic, we want to empower and educate and we want to decrease the stigma associated with it.
On March 10 of every year, the United States recognizes National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD). Launched by the Office of Women’s Health, NWGHAAD is a nationwide observance that encourages people to take action in the fight against HIV/AIDS and raise awareness of its impact on women and girls.
While great progress has been made in the area of HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, women still represent 27% of all new AIDS diagnoses, with African-American women accounting for 66% of that group.
The Rock the Red Pump Campaign
In observance of NWGHAAD, our signature Rock the Red Pump® (#RocktheRedPump) Campaign generates conversation both online and offline about the issue of HIV/AIDS and how it affects women.
The campaign aims to:
- Start and drive conversation about the epidemic so people can think critically about it
- Decrease stigma attached to the epidemic, taking the silence out of it
- Be a voice of the people, and create a platform for women around the country (and world) to talk about their connection to the epidemic (“Why we Rock the Red Pump”)
- Educate women with information about the disease so they can make better decisions with their bodies
- Stand in support and solidarity with women infected and affected with the disease to show they are not alone
Since 2009, we’ve asked women all around the country (and around the world) to put on their favorite pair of red shoes (pumps, sneakers, flats, sandals) on March 10. We want women to #RocktheRedPump to offer support, encourage discussion, and teach women and girls about prevention of HIV, the importance of getting tested for HIV, and how to live with and manage HIV/AIDS.
We’ve also asked bloggers and other digital influencers to place one of our custom badges on their websites use their platforms to amplify the message. Then on NWGHAAD, people across the blogosphere dedicate their posts to talking about the impact of HIV/AIDS on women and girls.
Join us for the 8th Annual #RocktheRedPump Campaign
What We’re Asking You To Do
- If you’re a blogger, click here to sign up for the 2016 #RocktheRedPump Campaign!
- Wear red shoes (pumps, sneakers, whatever) on March 10, upload pics of you in red shoes to social media, and use the hashtag #RocktheRedPump
- Share your Red Pump Story (a testimonial on how you’ve been affected by the HIV/AIDS epidemic
- Download the square button below and post on Instagram (and Facebook and Twitter), including the hashtag #RocktheRedPump.
Whether you are a first-time participant or an “old” pro, we thank you for supporting this movement!